These smashed avocado fish tacos with perfectly flaked fish and citrusy avocado are PERFECTION!
You know those meals that come out of desperation? The ones when you look in the fridge and realize you’re about to eat your left arm if you don’t make dinner quickly, but at the same time only have limited ingredients?! These smashed avocado fish tacos are the result of one of those nights a few weeks ago.
I had some cod in the fridge, some random tortillas and 2 avocados that were about a day past their prime. In an attempt to get dinner on the table in under 15 minutes, I quickly seasoned the fish with Gimme Chimmi (the best Chimmichuri seasoning available) or Gaby’s Go To, cooked it up, flaked it into some charred tortillas and added smashed avocado. I didn’t think it would amount of much but OMG we licked out plates clean. And then we made it again the next night. And 2 nights later.
These Smashed Avo Fish Tacos are truly perfect in every way. The charred tortillas are the perfect base. The lime spiked avocado is basically my quick hack to a guacamole. The fish is seasoned to perfection and mind blowing flavorful. And then just top it all off with your favorite hot sauce of choice. SIMPLICITY at it’s finest.
Smashed Avocado Fish Tacos
For the Fish
- 2 tablespoon Gimme Chimmi Seasoning or Gaby's Go To (linked above)
- 1 pound skinless cod, any pin bones removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- kosher salt and lime wedges to season
For the Smashed Avocados
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- Sprinkle the Gimme Chimmi all over the cod along with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan on the stove or bbq over medium high heat and add the remaining olive oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper and cook, flipping halfway until easily flaked. About 6-8 minutes total. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the cooked fish and set aside.
- While the fish is cooking, combine the diced avocado and chives in a small bowl and smash to combine. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Char the tortillas on both sides over an open flame.
- Gently break the fish into large chunks. Evenly distribute the smashed avocado on each tortilla and top with large flakes of the fish. Serve with hot sauce on top, extra cilantro and limes on the side.